Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mint - refreshing Money management



I am sure you will agree that having the right information at the right time is priceless. Today there are a number of web applications that provide you with just that...... INVALUABLE INFORMATION..and one of them is Mint

I first came across Mint when I had to search for a start-up company for a class project and have been using it ever since. It is basically Web Application for personal financial management.
The idea behind Mint is simple. You add your assets (credit cards and accounts) to Mint. It fetches data from those accounts, analyses it and and presents it to the user . So basically, you have an agglomeration of information in one screen.You can see your checking and saving account details, credit card transactions from all banks through the Mint interface. I find it pretty convinient compared to login in to my Bank of America account to get my account balance and credit card transaction details see the due dates for bills and so on...and repeat the entire procedure for the other banks....phew...

Mint also provides a trend analysis algorithm(although it cannot be called "perfect"...it categorized my shopping from Patel brothers,an Indian grocery store, as clothes and accessories) that automatically categorizes your expenses. You can ask yourself how much have I spent for Gas??...and see it your self through mint.


You can actually set a budget for a category that will give an alert when you go over board. Mint provides alert messages in the form of e-mails if a bill is due or if there is any unusual activity in any account.

The most important feature of Mint according to me is that you can actually save money using it. Mint will go through your transactions and bank details and suggest ways to save money like switching to a different credit card or a different savings or checking account.
Another attractive feature especially for personal financial benifits.... MINT is FREE!!!!!and really quick to set up...One thing that can be improved is that it does not take into account loans or debts incurred but that may change as it comes out of the Beta phase...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually didn't know much about the mnit website until i read ur article..i really think its a good website and the way you've portrayed its benefits is awesome...way to go buddy..do keep us updated about all this..thanks and ciao!

Girish Jain said...

Good one....Nice article

khush said...

I dint know anything about Mint...article was informative.Thanks

Unknown said...

this article is very informative....

Unknown said...

that seems to be a very useful application..I wonder if they have a feature like "parental lock"..I don't want my parents to know more about my spendings!!!! :)

Unknown said...

hey never knew abt such a thing.. totally a new concept..gr8