Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Save Money by taking the Subway

Here are two interesting facts that I found over the internet. Did you know an average individual spends $8,580 a year on his car. In addition, you can save $215 a year by using public transportation instead of a car for just one errand a week (if we all did this, we would collectively reduce carbon emissions by 149 million tons as well…go green then…). Thinking about it does it make sense to use the car every day???WHY NOT the SUBWAY?

I live in College Park, a suburb in Maryland and commute into Washington D.C. almost every second day. I actually have it comparatively easy since I don’t have to commute through the notoriously jammed packed Beltway every morning. With gas prices soaring and with more cars piling onto the roads than the day before, it just does not make sense to commute by car everyday anymore.


In the D.C. area we have an extensively used subway system, called Metro. Many commuters, particularly federal government workers who live in the Maryland and North Virginia suburbs commute into D.C. using the Metrorail system. I’ve also learned a few cost and time saving tips for commuting to work via subway:

Another attractive feature is that of Reduced fares. The D.C. Metro charges a reduced fare when you ride during off peak times. The D.C. Metro regular fare is in effect on weekdays from opening to 9:30 a.m., 3:00-7:00 p.m., and 2 a.m. to closing). All other times including weekends are reduced fares.

The fare that you are charged depends on the time that you cross the gate. I always keep the peak hour times in my mind when I plan my commute schedule. The one I am most cognizant about is 7:00 p.m., since this is when the evening off peak fare goes into effect. Because reduced fare starts at 7:00 p.m. sharp, if I arrive at the gate a bit early, I always wait for the clock to turn 7:00 p.m. before I cross the ticket gate. After all, why not wait a few more minutes and enjoy the reduced price? Sometimes I get there at 6:56 p.m. only to see people rushing past me through the gate and be charged the higher rate. If they waited a few more minutes, they could easily save upwards of $1.50. This may not seem like much but it does add up, particularly if you commute every weekday of the year.

Another advice I would give is to always Buy your subway pass denomination in bulk and pocket the savings. In D.C. we use SmarTrip magnetic cards to store our subway funds. Each card can hold upwards of $300 at a time. You can buy these cards on sites like eBay where they can be acquired at substantial discounts (SmarTrip deals). I usually can get a fully loaded $300 card for only $200. Generally, the higher the denomination you’re willing to buy, the greater the savings you’ll get.

So go ahead Plan your trip!!!

10 comments:

khush said...

its so true..never thought about this before...thanks a lot!!

Unknown said...

i wasnt aware of this...i will surely try now....

Unknown said...

ya..I agree..if everyone starts using public transport..it would help a lot..but then u should also consider the efficiency of these transportation systems..I stay in atlanta..and in general the frequency of buses out here is low..some of them are not on time..same is the case with trains..also what if I have to go to a place which does not have a direct bus or train..I may have to change the bus on the way..which takes time..instead why not use the car to directly reach a place..

if u use the car it may save time..and as they say..time is money..so in a way .. u r saving money!!

to sum it up I will jus say..that it would be an ideal scenario that everyone uses public transportation but there are issues within the transportation system that need to be solved..for this to come true..

Unknown said...

decent and nice!
keep it up!

Manan said...

Yes thats true neil...even here in DC there are occasional glitches where you are stuck coz of power failures...but believe me it sure beats going through the beltsway traffic here..

priyu said...

thanks for the infm on smart trip deals....i wasnt aware of that

Unknown said...

Yup surely there are pros n cons n two sides of everything.. u md a very meek point strong by this article.. good one..HETAL

Arindam B said...

I dint know about this.. thanks for all the info... keep it up!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey this is a good piece of info.. thanks..